Thursday, May 9, 2013

Glass Doctor - Dave Kozlowski

Curious about what's happened to the entrepreneurs I've featured over the past few years?  Do you wonder how they fared during the recession years? 

The first franchisee I featured was Dave Kozlowski. In June of 2007, Dave purchased a Glass Doctor franchise in the Milwaukee area from an owner that was retiring to the Phoenix area. I last saw Dave a little over 2 years ago where he was displaying his Glass Doctor services at a local home show.  We spoke for a while and I introduced him to my bride-to-be. Besides talking business, Dave told me about a tragic situation in his family. His son was on a ventilator and was basically brain dead. He and his wife were going through the agonizing decision of pulling the plug and letting him go. At that time, I believe Dave had been running his new business for about 6 months. I didn't know what to say and I marveled that he could keep his head on straight to continue to run his business.

Dave is a very positive thinking guy. So, keep reading. There are definitely positive elements to this story. But first, let's review parts of Dave's story.
  
E-story sub header 

 
                                                       Kozlowksi I 
Dave Kozlowski
 
Dave had worked for a private label sales and marketing company for 15 years, building and training the branch offices. About every 3 years he would get transferred and have to uproot his family to another city; new home, new friends, new everything.  His family was getting tired of the vagabond life and wanted to put down permanent roots. His wife was from a small town in Montana and he was a big city Detroit boy.  His family enjoyed Milwaukee and it seemed like the perfect compromise. 
When Dave and I met, the next transfer was being discussed at work. He considered business ownership as a possible solution to remain in Milwaukee, but had no idea what type of business would be the best fit for him.
Through our "Exploration and Discovery Process", Dave focused on an existing Glass Doctor franchise that was a good fit to utilize his skills and strengths.   After months of negotiations, Dave's future was sealed and he became the proud owner of a Glass Doctor franchise.
In Dave's own words "It has been a long time dream for my wife and I to work side by side. Now we have that and don't need to worry about the next transfer. My close friends have asked me if I was enjoying my new business and happy with my decision. My response was one word, absolutely! Owning a business can be really scary. I remember having second thoughts about the purchase and Marty was there listening and helping me through all the unknowns.  I wake up each day now with a level of excitement and enthusiasm I never had before. I truly enjoy and appreciate the challenges and rewards of being a business owner.  It has made me a stronger person."
So how's Dave doing now?  Was the recession a killer?
I had been reluctant to call Dave because I didn't know how to approach the issue of his son. But it was time I made that call and this is what I learned about Dave's accomplishments:
    -Dave was voted Glass Doctor Rookie of the Year in 2008!
    -Was awarded Glass Doctor Franchisee of the Year in 2009!
    -Personal achievement award
    -Won the Builder's Award for promoting new Glass Doctor Franchises.
    -Is on the Leadership Counsel and mentors new owners.
    -He's increased his sales about 20%.
    -His other son and wife and both joined him in the business.
    -And, he has purchased another territory in Madison, Wisconsin.

WOW!  Way to go Dave!
Dave now concentrates on the marketing and sales of the business while his son concentrates on operations.
I did get around to inquiring about Dave's comatose son. As a parent it was hard for me to imagine what he went through. He told me that since his son was over 21, he and his wife had to go to court to be appointed guardian to make this health care decisions for him. While in court, his attorney mentioned that perhaps he shouldn't rush this decision because he's seen miracles happen. The following Monday, Dave's son Michael awakened from his coma. There doesn't seem to be an explanation; miracle, positive thinking, parental love, a fight to live? Everyone is just so pleased to have him back.
Michael has some permanent brain damage. It has affected his memory and parts of his body are still paralyzed. Dave said he is recovering slowly, but nicely. He is living in a group home and getting physical therapy. They are very happy with Michael's progress and are hopeful that he will walk again.
I am so happy for Dave and his family. Not all of my clients have positive outcomes like this. Dave now has a family business where he is in control. He is making the decisions to grow his sales, territory, ROI, building equity for his family and having fun doing it. He has met business and personal challenges head on. And as he said earlier, "it has made him a stronger person."
If you live in the greater Milwaukee or Madison, Wisconsin areas and need a windshield replaced, broken window or storm fixed, give Dave a call at 262-821-9682.  Or visit his showroom at at  2275 S. 162nd Street, New Berlin, WI. At Glass Doctor, they'll fix your "panes".
There's lots that we can learn from Dave's determination. I always tell my clients that business ownership is always harder than you think and that there will always be new challenges. But once you "taste" the excitement of making your own decisions and being rewarded for your efforts, few will ever be satisfied with a job again.

No comments:

Post a Comment