Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Budget Blinds - Pat McAdams

 
Did you ever wonder if the entrepreneurial spirit could be inherited? Statistics have shown that children of self-employed or entrepreneurial parents are more likely to become business owners than the norm. So, is the entrepreneurial spirit inherited, environmental or just a mysterious force?
 
Our E-Story this month is about a young man that grew up working in his family's grocery stores, yet pursued a career in Information Systems. Before reaching the age of 30, the entrepreneurial itch caught up with him.  Whether environmental or inherited, Pat McAdams pursued his dream of business ownership and wasn't "blind" to possibilities.
 
Join me in welcoming Pat to the world of entrepreneurship. Congratulations Pat!   
 
E-story sub header

 
  
Pat McAdams

Pat McAdams

Pat worked in his family's grocery stores from the time he was 10 until 23. He pursued a degree in Information Systems and even worked for the family business for his first year out of college. He learned from his parents that hard work paid off, yet the desire to be independent led him to pursue a career in corporate America. But he was constantly looking in the Business Opportunity section of the Sunday paper and checking out franchise websites searching for the "right one".
 
When Pat and I met, he had narrowed his search to something technical, like cell phones.  I explained our process of starting from the inside out so we could discover a business that best suited his goals and needs. Since his way wasn't working, he agreed to try it our way, but with some skepticism.
 
Our discovery journey encountered Budget Blinds, a full service-shop-at-home window covering company, presently the largest window treatment retailer in the country. Pat loved the business model and his research confirmed that this was a solid and growing company. But self-doubt set in. In Pat's own words, "I was getting nervous.  I started to doubt myself and my decision to do this. I had two small kids at home, a wife, a mortgage and I wasn't sure I could do this.  Marty helped me overcome some fears, reminded me of my goals and I took the "plunge". On Februray 19, 2005, I signed my papers and never looked back.  Had I been doing this on my own, there is no way I would have looked at Budget Blinds."
 
It's now 3 years later and Pat says he is doing great.  His wife has joined him in the business and they are loving it. In Pat's words, "my wife loves working from home and the flexibility it gives us. My business is thriving, my health is great, and most important, my family life is fantastic and I have never been happier.... Working with Marty was one of the best decisions I have made in my lifetime.  Without his help and guidance, I would not be where I am today."
 
Pat has sent me multiple referrals and two of them have gone on to become franchise business owners.  Thank you, Pat! And, thank you also for allowing my dream of helping aspiring entrepreneurs achieve their potential and realize their dreams.
 
If you live in the southern Milwaukee area, Franklin, Oak Creek, Cudahy, St. Francis, S. Milwaukee, Bayview or West Allis and need new window coverings, please give Pat a call at 414-427-9290. He will bring out his mobile showroom of custom shades, blinds, shutters and draperies for a personal viewing and personalized service. Seeing the samples in the light of your home rather than the light of the store makes a huge difference.  Find out for yourself! Give Pat a call.
 
Pat was not "blind" to his possibilities. What about you?  I hope that Pat's story is an inspiration for you and that you'll take the first step to go after your dream.


 
 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this with me. I've been looking around for a place that sells good blinds. Mine just seem to be out of date. http://www.blinds2000mfg.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your blog and have gained so much needed information. A sincere thanks to you. Plantation Blinds houston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign!

    Budget Blinds in Vancouver

    ReplyDelete